Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blackhill
*David MacPhail*
post 13th May 2014, 06:37am
Post #106

QUOTE (william macphailco @ 6th Jan 2010, 11:38pm) *
[hi my name is william macphail i was born at home 8 acrehill st blackhill in 1943 i lived there untill i got married in 1962 i remember john and briget mcphail who lived at 18 acrehill st and moved to craigendmuir st thay had two sons one was called ronnie aND I THINK THE YOUNGER WAS TOM RONNIE PLAYED THE ACORDION AND SOME TIMES BUSKTED ROUND THE BACK COURTS MY DAS NAME WAS JOHN AND MY MUM WAS LIZZIE I O L I LEFT BLACKHILL IN 1962 AND MOVED TO A CONDEMED BUILDING IN COWCADENNS THAY SAY BLACKHILL WAS BAD THAYSHOULD HAVE COME HERE A SINGLEND HOOSE NAY HOT WATER CLUDGIE OOT IN THE STAIR SHARED BY OTHERS ON THE SAME LANDING GAS LIGHT ON THE CLOSE AND STAIR HAD TO GO TO THE PUBLIC BATHS FOR A WASH AND MY WIFE SADIE HAD TO GO TO THE STEAMIE TODO THE CLOTHES MOVED BACK TO BLACKHILL IN 1965 TO A HOUSE IN CRAIGENDMUIR ST NO 22 AND IT WAS LIKE HAVEN HOT WATER BATHROOM TO OUR SELFS AND LOTS OF FRIENDLY PEOPLE WEE LIVED THERE UNTILL 1968 WHEN MY WIFE AND I AND OUR 3 CHIDREN MOVED TO CUMBERNAULD I TELL MY GRAND CHILDREN STOREIS ABOUT BLACKHILL AND HOW I AM PROUD OF MY UP BRINGING IF THIS WEE STORIE BRINGS SOME MEMORIES PLEASE REPLY HOPE TO HERE FROM YOU BY BY

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Sandra MCNICOL*
post 19th Jul 2014, 11:36am
Post #107

Hello everyone,
I have found it fascinating reading through the posts,

I was born at 15 craigenmuir st in my maternal grandmothers house the family were called Gracey/Gracie (I am never sure of the spelling) they were a fairly big family although I don't know a great deal about them, my mother was Margaret she had two sisters Ellen (can't remember her married name) and Betty married name ferguson, there was also several brothers Arthur and Bernard are two I remember I think Arthur and his wife lived their entire live in Blackhill and they had several children.

My mother married Matt McNicol who was from Parkhead he was badly beaten up in blackhill when he was walking back home after leaving my mother home one night. My mother left home when I was six and I knew very little about her side of the family. Does anyone remember them? Would love to learn more.

+Quote Post
*macaulay*
post 25th Aug 2014, 11:42pm
Post #108

Hi,my family lived in the old black building on provanmill rd when I was born,my mother lived in drumpellier st before that,her maiden name was sheriff and she came from a large family,her brothers were Alex,john,and Michael,her sisters sisters were ena,Jenny,Nancy,Peggy and Ella,sadly my parents and my mum's family are all gone,I spent a lot of time at my aunt ena and Jenny's house in drumpellier st and remember a family who had s pet monkey across from them,I also remember wee daddy but he sold coal brickets from his horse and cart,also had many a visit to golfers rest for ice cream and trips on the large motorboats on hogganfield loch.

+Quote Post
*Steeev*
post 9th Sep 2014, 10:07pm
Post #109

Does anyone know Isabella Mcdonald of 527 craigendmuir street in the early 70s?

+Quote Post
*Mary Mcdivitt*
post 18th Oct 2014, 11:32am
Post #110

QUOTE (orange peel @ 21st Oct 2009, 02:06pm) *
my maw & da were brought up in blackhill , they met in "the provy" the night celtic won the european cup, my ma is a mccrimmon from 59 craigendmuir street & my da was a mclean from 14 queenslie st, my granda was neily mccrimmon the hawker if anyone can tell me any stories about him that would be great. i still live in blackhill with my wife & wean. go here 4 old blackhill tales http://www.stephaniepiro.com/fc290.htm

My name is Mary McDivitt Ackinhill Street

+Quote Post
MarkMurphy
post 26th Nov 2014, 11:16pm
Post #111

Unpacking
Member No.: 27,208
QUOTE (Sandra MCNICOL @ 19th Jul 2014, 11:53am) *
Hello everyone,
I have found it fascinating reading through the posts,

I was born at 15 craigenmuir st in my maternal grandmothers house the family were called Gracey/Gracie (I am never sure of the spelling) they were a fairly big family although I don't know a great deal about them, my mother was Margaret she had two sisters Ellen (can't remember her married name) and Betty married name ferguson, there was also several brothers Arthur and Bernard are two I remember I think Arthur and his wife lived their entire live in Blackhill and they had several children.

My mother married Matt McNicol who was from Parkhead he was badly beaten up in blackhill when he was walking back home after leaving my mother home one night. My mother left home when I was six and I knew very little about her side of the family. Does anyone remember them? Would love to learn more.

Sandra could you please contact me about the above, I think I might have quite a bit of information for you regarding the family. I really hope you pop back and read this. If anyone else knows Sandra, could you please tell her about this post. I've enabled myself to be contacted via email so you get me that way.Thanks

+Quote Post
*David Gray*
post 18th Dec 2014, 09:28am
Post #112

Hi, Ronnie McPhail & Tom McPhail are my uncles. Tom has been living in Canada with his family for more than 40 years. Ronnie lived at my Mothers home for a few years before getting his own place on the same street as myself. He has since moved to sheltered housing in the Gorbals area. Bridgit, my Gran emigrated to Canada after John ( her husband ) died. If you need any more info or updates leave a message here.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 20th Dec 2014, 03:01pm
Post #113

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (David Gray @ 18th Dec 2014, 04:45am) *
Hi, Ronnie McPhail & Tom McPhail are my uncles. Tom has been living in Canada with his family for more than 40 years. Ronnie lived at my Mothers home for a few years before getting his own place on the same street as myself. He has since moved to sheltered housing in the Gorbals area. Bridgit, my Gran emigrated to Canada after John ( her husband ) died. If you need any more info or updates leave a message here.

Hi, I was wondering if the Ronnie McPhail that you are talking about played in the same accordion band as me, l seem to remember a guy by that name who also played in the Provanmill Inn in the late 60s early 70s. The band was the William Dawson Accordion Band'
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
Perfectoworld
post 20th Dec 2014, 06:01pm
Post #114

Unpacking
Member No.: 27,733
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 20th Dec 2014, 03:18pm) *
Hi, I was wondering if the Ronnie McPhail that you are talking about played in the same accordion band as me, l seem to remember a guy by that name who also played in the Provanmill Inn in the late 60s early 70s. The band was the William Dawson Accordion Band'
Cheers
Foxy

I'm not sure what band if any he may have played in. I do know that he did play in the Provanmill Inn though as well as other pubs. Ronnie lived with his parents Brigit and John McPhail at 24 Frankfield Street around this time.

+Quote Post
Dougan
post 9th Jan 2015, 11:03am
Post #115

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,457
QUOTE (MarkMurphy @ 26th Nov 2014, 11:33pm) *
Sandra could you please contact me about the above, I think I might have quite a bit of information for you regarding the family. I really hope you pop back and read this. If anyone else knows Sandra, could you please tell her about this post. I've enabled myself to be contacted via email so you get me that way.Thanks

+Quote Post
Dougan
post 9th Jan 2015, 11:13am
Post #116

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,457
Hi Just reading threw this the name was Gracie they stayed above the police station at Craigendmuir St .I remember William Arthur and Bernard also Betty she stayed across the road a big family can't remember the rest ,think they where also related to the Dick family , William (Billy) used to hang about with a friend Frankie Berry, Iam going back 30+ years here I remember their mum and dad your grandparents. good luck with your search thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
johnnyboy123
post 22nd May 2015, 10:53am
Post #117

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,910
QUOTE (robbieerin @ 20th Oct 2010, 07:55pm) *
hi william i to was born and bred in blackhill i was born at 17.craigendmuir st.dont know if you new me my name is johnny miller i have a brother eddie who died 3years ago i also had 3 sisters named lavina rose mary sadly our rose died 15 years ago .i also live in cumbernauld.hope to hear from you soon william

my email address is johnmiller1947@hotmail.co.uk

+Quote Post
**dranachan**
post 17th Jun 2015, 09:40pm
Post #118

Hi am looking for some help. Am looking for a person called Douglas Anderson from blackhill i think he also had a brother called John Anderson i also think he had a sister but i do not no her name. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out thanks.

+Quote Post
*Annie sheriff 106*
post 17th Jul 2015, 04:26pm
Post #119

QUOTE (patricia mcdade @ 20th Aug 2009, 09:58am) *
Hi all I was born in 1973, me and my brothers Frany and JoJo were raised in 25 maryston st. My Dad was John McDade but usually refered to as Daity McDade not Dante Alex McDade people get them mixed up. His brothers and sisters were all raised in 39 craigendmuir st (Mick , Rae, Margret and Cathy Mcdade). My mum nee Lesley Nee Griffin were also raised in Maryston st along with her two sisters Margret and Patsy Griffin. Their mum and Dad were Rab and Winnie Griffin who later moved onto 57 Provanmill Rd and then Gala St Riddrie where I now live in their old house. My mums Grandparents also lived in 25 Maryston st Jimmy Whelan And Isabella Whelan , their kids were Winnie Whelan( my Grandmother) James ,Cathy, Lexi and Jean. My Great Grand mother Isabella was German and I would love too hear from anyone who knew any of my family. Cheers BYT

+Quote Post
**lorraine**
post 7th Jan 2016, 11:43am
Post #120

Hi my dad was born and bred in 49 Acrehill St, Hamilton was called Hammy he's still going strong 82 now, with many stories to tell.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.