Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Council Evict Occupy Glasgow?, Legal stand-off in George Square
droschke7
post 8th Nov 2011, 02:48pm
Post #91

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (Wendy Davidson @ 8th Nov 2011, 01:09pm) *
I, for one, have had enough of these protesters in Kelvingrove Park and they've only been there for less than a week! Why on Earth the council put them there I do not know. They have been given full facilities including power, lighting, toilets, refuse collection, etc, etc.

Their presence is already a blight on a lovely park and I can tell you now that - while out walking the dog - I have heard quite a few people complaining about this rabble. Goodness knows what types they are likely to attract over the coming weeks. I dread to think!

Might be time for a petition to get them out before they have time to settle.

Set the dogs on them, it's a public park not a private camping site. I hope these idiots freeze off their extremitries.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Nov 2011, 06:56pm
Post #92

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Here are the nine points of the 'statement of intent' from the Occupy Glasgow flyer:
  1. "The current system is unsustainable. It is undemocratic and unjust. We need alternatives; this is where we work towards them.
  2. We are of all ethnic backgrounds, genders, generations, sexualities, dis/abilities and faiths. We stand together with occupations all over the world.
  3. We refuse to pay for the banks' crisis.
  4. We do not accept the cuts as either necessary or inevitable. We demand an end to global tax injustice and our democracy representing corporations instead of the people.
  5. We want regulators to be genuinely independent of the industries they regulate.
  6. We support the strike on 30 November and the student action on 9 November, and actions to defend our health services, welfare, education and employment, and to stop wars and arms dealing.
  7. We want structural change towards authentic global equality. The world's resources must go towards caring for people and the planet, not the military, corporate profits or the rich.
  8. We stand in solidarity with the global oppressed and we call for an end to the actions of our government and others in causing this oppression.
  9. This is what democracy looks like. Come and join us!"
The statement adds that: "This is NOT a party political movement, people from all political ideologies are welcome and encouraged, we are in this together."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Nov 2011, 07:03pm
Post #93

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Also, see the website below for a list of things that the group need, or ways in which you could help out, if you are inclined to do so.

http://www.occupyglasgow.org/help-out.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 8th Nov 2011, 08:08pm
Post #94

Lord Provost
I'd like to win 20 million on the lottery, but that's not going to happen anytime soon either.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 8th Nov 2011, 08:56pm
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
Their presence is already a blight on a lovely park and I can tell you now ,sez wendy

rolleyes.gif thought you wis talking about dog turds fer a minute then wendy? how can other humans be a blight anywhere let alone a public park, get a life smile.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Nov 2011, 11:47pm
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 8th Nov 2011, 07:34pm) *
I'd like to win 20 million on the lottery, but that's not going to happen anytime soon either

Are you at least buyin' a lottery ticket on the chance that it might? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 9th Nov 2011, 06:52am
Post #97

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (GG @ 8th Nov 2011, 07:22pm) *
Here are the nine points of the 'statement of intent' from the Occupy Glasgow flyer:
  1. "The current system is unsustainable. It is undemocratic and unjust. We need alternatives; this is where we work towards them.
  2. We are of all ethnic backgrounds, genders, generations, sexualities, dis/abilities and faiths. We stand together with occupations all over the world.
  3. We refuse to pay for the banks' crisis.
  4. We do not accept the cuts as either necessary or inevitable. We demand an end to global tax injustice and our democracy representing corporations instead of the people.
  5. We want regulators to be genuinely independent of the industries they regulate.
  6. We support the strike on 30 November and the student action on 9 November, and actions to defend our health services, welfare, education and employment, and to stop wars and arms dealing.
  7. We want structural change towards authentic global equality. The world's resources must go towards caring for people and the planet, not the military, corporate profits or the rich.
  8. We stand in solidarity with the global oppressed and we call for an end to the actions of our government and others in causing this oppression.
  9. This is what democracy looks like. Come and join us!"
The statement adds that: "This is NOT a party political movement, people from all political ideologies are welcome and encouraged, we are in this together."

GG.

Admirable targets but unrealistic in the foreseeable future or probably even further, what they are talking about is Utopia or Anarchy (in its true sense of the word).

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 9th Nov 2011, 11:31am
Post #98

Lord Provost
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Nov 2011, 12:13am) *
Are you at least buyin' a lottery ticket on the chance that it might? rolleyes.gif

What? I have to buy a ticket as well? LOL

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 9th Nov 2011, 11:40am
Post #99

Lord Provost
It's all very well these people messing up our parks and cities, criticising the government and listing the problems that are world wide and that everyone knows about, but how about giving us some solutions? It's easy to criticise when your in opposition or (as these people are) have no chance of ever getting in to power. If you don't have a solution yourself then you have no right to criticise others in the same position. That's like someone who only speaks one language criticising others who aren't multilingual.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th Nov 2011, 11:43am
Post #100

QUOTE (Wendy Davidson @ 8th Nov 2011, 01:09pm) *
I, for one, have had enough of these protesters in Kelvingrove Park and they've only been there for less than a week! Why on Earth the council put them there I do not know. They have been given full facilities including power, lighting, toilets, refuse collection, etc, etc.

Their presence is already a blight on a lovely park and I can tell you now that - while out walking the dog - I have heard quite a few people complaining about this rabble. Goodness knows what types they are likely to attract over the coming weeks. I dread to think!

Might be time for a petition to get them out before they have time to settle.

IMO, Wendy is entitled to her own opinion. If we all had the same opinion there would be no messageboards as there would be absolutely nothing to discuss.

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:20pm
Post #101

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,134
i really dont know enough about this to have an opinion but as someone who once stood oi grosvernor square (london) and threw stones at the american embassy........

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:29pm
Post #102

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Guest @ 9th Nov 2011, 12:09pm) *
IMO, Wendy is entitled to her own opinion. If we all had the same opinion there would be no messageboards as there would be absolutely nothing to discuss.

Yes, but it would be good if she, and you for that matter, would join the boards so that a "discussion" could actually take place. It's easy to post opinions anoymously without then having to justify your position.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:45pm
Post #103

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 9th Nov 2011, 11:06am) *
... It's easy to criticise when your in opposition or ... have no chance of ever getting in to power.

Two points there Droschke:
1) The opposition is there to criticise (Dictatorships rule that out.)
2) The people who protest can eventually overcome the power (Look at Egypt, Libya and etc..)

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:50pm
Post #104

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Guest @ 9th Nov 2011, 11:09am) *

Now that we agree that Wendy's entitled to her opinion can we discuss whether or not it's a valid opinion since that's what discussion boards are for? rolleyes.gif
Over to you. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 9th Nov 2011, 02:40pm
Post #105

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Yes lets ban those folk who mess up our parks. Ban dog walking

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.