Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Was Thatcher Death Party Inappropriate?, George Square celebrations at ex-PM's death
serabash
post 13th Apr 2013, 08:08pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
As ye said alex you say it as ye see it, so dae we. yes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab
post 13th Apr 2013, 08:36pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
laugh.gif Wasn't Rab C. Nesbitt 'Low-life SCUM and proud of it'?

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 13th Apr 2013, 09:02pm
Post #78

Resident
Member No.: 546
Ohhhhh Alex, ....
Jag, sticks and stones and all that.

Are you in the same club as your namesake? "Sticks an' Stones might brekk ma bones .... bit whips an' chains sexcite me!" you devil you.

Ma wife jist made me give HER Opinion.

P.S. JAGZ1876??? want a wee bet oan the Habs an' Leafs th'night china?? winner gets tae take Alex oot tae dinner?? GO Habs! Go! LoL!

ah'm furr T.O. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 13th Apr 2013, 09:28pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 13th Apr 2013, 09:19pm) *
P.S. JAGZ1876??? want a wee bet oan the Habs an' Leafs th'night china?? winner gets tae take Alex oot tae dinner?? GO Habs! Go! LoL!

ah'm furr T.O. laugh.gif

Ok Jim, i say we go one better than the last time we visited The Air Canada Centre 6-2 Habs.

Oh, and the loser takes Alex out to dinner tongue.gif

C'mon the Habs thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 14th Apr 2013, 07:48am
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
The parties were inappropriate and yet very understandable.

+Quote Post
*Guvinjim*
post 14th Apr 2013, 08:13am
Post #81

QUOTE (*Geo* @ 12th Apr 2013, 07:55am) *
Look at the ages of those attending, i my view any excuse for demonstration. The woman did bad but she also did good. Name a PM who was all good! Death is something that should never be celebrated

Hitler, Stalin, Franco, Mussolini???????

+Quote Post
**Billyboy**
post 14th Apr 2013, 08:27am
Post #82

Impartial!!! the B.B.C. ???? Where did anyone get that preposterous idea from. "Auntie" has always been and always will be the "establishment" and the ruling classes sop to those who have any adherence to what passes for democracy in "English" Britain.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 14th Apr 2013, 10:38am
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
How sad that the majority of people on this topic, berating a Scotsman's right to an opinion, are either 'guests' or 'ex-pats'.

The 'guests' I do not care about but I would hope that those 'ex-pats' who are extolling Mrs Thatcher's virtues actually did spend some time living in the north of England and Scotland during her 'Reign of Terror'.

Otherwise, let those who did live in those areas continue to express their opinions freely for, despite the efforts of Mrs Thatcher and her party, Britain is still a Democracy, not an Autocracy or a Despotic State.

Hitler's daughter is dead ! Let the people she abused, and their descendants, continue to voice their opinions freely.

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Apr 2013, 02:32pm
Post #84

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher is no longer in the world of the living. The feeling among left-wing activists in Glasgow and Bristol was reportedly vituperative, as they threw street parties to celebrate her death. ...

Vituperative is a new word for me! The above is from an eloquent and balanced reflection on Thatcher's tenure as PM and, importantly, includes comment on her attitude to the blacks' struggle for freedom in South Africa from someone who was involved in attempted negotiations with her.

Thatcher was against SA change
http://www.thepost.co.za/thatcher-was-agai...hange-1.1499898

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
kickaboot
post 14th Apr 2013, 03:19pm
Post #85

Visitor
Member No.: 10,917
QUOTE (*Geo* @ 12th Apr 2013, 07:55am) *
Look at the ages of those attending, in my view any excuse for demonstration. The woman did bad but she also did good. Name a PM who was all good! Death is something that should never be celebrated.

I totally agree with you there. Politics always has and always will be riddled with corruption. Thatcher did plenty to upset us but as you said she also did some good. I would find it hard to believe that the likes of Blair or Cameron would have had the balls to send forces to the Falkland Islands as Thatcher did. She also faught and win a rebate of over 3 billion from the EU that Brussels is trying to claim back.

Thatcher became PM when the UK was in a total mess [much of it inherited from the previous Labour regime who did nothing to prevent the debts run up by the nationalised industries. In 1978 the taxpayer was supplying a million quid a day to British Steel. This was just to try and keep them open and not to invest.. We were buying coal from Poland for less than half the cost of mining it here so the curtains had been well drawn on our coal industry long before Thatcherism. Even today we are boosting the economy countries like China by letting them manufacture goods at about a sixth of the price it costs to do so here so thanks to that we are in another meltdown.

British industry was finished before most of us knew who Maggie was due to many decades of little or no investment in our industry. Britain was once world leaders in heavy industry including shipbuilding and locomotive building but now almost 80% of what we do manufacture is owned by non British companies which although I am no Thatcher fan I know it was not down to her that we lost it all.

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Apr 2013, 08:49pm
Post #86

Administrator
Group Icon
A very good comment article from Ian Bell at The Herald, making the point that the young people who gathered to celebrate Thatcher's death are as well placed as anyone to understand the effects of her policies, as they are her living legacy.

Maggie made those young revellers' world

[...] So put yourself in the position of a younger person. Look around, what do you see? Youth unemployment is creeping towards one million again. The coalition has decided that neither word in the phrase "social security" can survive. The economy is feeding the fishes because a trillion pounds had to be found to cover bets made by poorly-regulated banks.

So who "deregulated" financial services in Britain in October 1986? Whose big bang – still leaking fall-out – was that, setting off chain reactions in investment banking, credit markets and housing? The youngsters with their amusing "death parties" don't need to know every footnote to the history. All they need to know is what they are told. They are living in Thatcher's Britain, says the Daily Mail. Is the abbreviation LOL still in use? [...]

Full article here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/colu...-world.20781742

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Apr 2013, 09:03pm
Post #87

Administrator
Group Icon
From the UK Chart Show today. Ding Dong made number 2 in the chart.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guvinjim*
post 14th Apr 2013, 10:41pm
Post #88

Whatever else was done by that unyielding mediocre middle class matron, including the jingoistic "Falklands war" a place where the inhabitants were not even British subjects, a war fought for re election and costing near a thousand lives, her true legacy remains generational unemployment. Generational unemployment that has spawned the social morass amongst what was once the working class and divisions into haves and not only have nots but never will have.

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 14th Apr 2013, 11:35pm
Post #89

Resident
Member No.: 546
My! My! MY I guess everyone in the U.K. is unemployed because of Mrs.Thatcher eh? or was it just those Union Yobs who couldn't keep their Jobs 'worth keeping' with their incessant demands and 'benefits' ??? well they ended up getting 'benefits.

Dear 'tombro' this is a Topic Board where 'folks' are FREE to give their opinions on day to day Topics, live and learn bushman, live and learn.

and 'Hagz Pal, sorry but you're the lucky bugger that has to take oor alex oot furr dinner "Toronto Male Leafs 5 Jazg's Montreal Canadians=1'

"Go Leafs Go!" thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 15th Apr 2013, 08:20am
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 14th Apr 2013, 11:52pm) *
and 'Hagz Pal, sorry but you're the lucky bugger that has to take oor alex oot furr dinner "Toronto Male Leafs 5 Jazg's Montreal Canadians=1'

Sickened, i hope Alex likes Chinese laugh.gif

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.