Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> England For English People, Do you agree with this rule?
Purplefan
post 10th Oct 2013, 02:26pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
QUOTE (Dylan @ 10th Oct 2013, 03:17pm) *
If you had an Irish Setter PF, Jack Charlton would have had you eligible for the ROI Team . !!.

your spot on Dylan,Funny but true. It is becoming a Joke. I understand at the time of the 1994 world cup Qualifiers the irish FA employed a team of genealogists. (no joke).

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 10th Oct 2013, 03:37pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Oh dear - poor lad.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/trending-blog/jack...tter-made-of-it

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Oct 2013, 08:34pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Does that mean that the men in my family can play for Scotland, Ireland & Calcutta and my sister' sons can also play for those Countries as well as America. wacko.gif

My parents and I are Scottish, my g'dad was Irish and his wife my gran, was born in Calcutta as her dad was stationed there with the British Army.

My sister's husband is American and both his g'dads were Irish.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Rab
post 10th Oct 2013, 10:11pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (Dylan @ 10th Oct 2013, 03:17pm) *
If you had an Irish Setter PF, Jack Charlton would have had you eligible for the ROI Team . !!.

Why not? A Jack Russel played cricket for England! laugh.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 10th Oct 2013, 11:40pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th Oct 2013, 10:25am) *
This has always been a grey area. I think he has a point, but in the old days were you not eligible to play for a country if your parents were born in it? Did Ferenc Puskas not play for Hungry and a couple of games for spain? I think if the only connection is a five year residence; then your clutching at straws. If that was the case, i would be able to play for Scotland and England. If you are born in the country, then play for that country that's what i always say.

Hello Purplefan

It depends how far back you go to define "The old days". In the late 1940's, Jimmy Walker played for Hearts and Partick Thistle. He was international class, but couldn't play for Scotland. I believe he had Scottish parents but he was born in America and was therefore an American citizen.

If you are an American citizen by the way, they will come looking for you if they want you. When I was an apprentice in Weirs a few years after the second world war, there was a tradesman referred to as the "Yank". This was because he still wore some of the American Army uniform he had during the war, to work. When the Americans entered the war, he was called up to the American army in spite of him living most of his life in Scotland. He spoke broad "Glasgow".

Getting back to football, this issue has probably arisen because the English football authorities are getting concerned about England's chances of ever becoming World Champions again. It is estimated that about 65% of players in the English Premier League are non-English. So if there is a dearth of English talent coming through, a quick fix is to allow non-English nationals to play for England.

Once again, greed has taken over. Because of the money the English top clubs are getting from Television payments, they prefer to go out and by foreign players in order to keep in the Premier League. The supporters of these Clubs must also shoulder some of the blame. They have no interest in the development of local talent. Having said that, if the Scottish Premier League was getting the same sort of money as the English Premier League there would be even fewer Scots boys getting a chance of first team football. I would argue that the fans of the leading Scottish clubs would be happy to have 11 foreign players wearing the team colours, and not give a thought about the exclusion of local talent.

I remember the days when it was a level playing field. Scottish teams like Rangers and Celtic could take on any English top team, using local talent. Now neither Rangers or Celtic could field a team of local talent against any English team fielding their local talent, because like the Old Firm, the English couldn't field a team with local talent. Money rules the world!

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Oct 2013, 05:46am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Oct 2013, 03:52pm) *
So who do you think he would choose, and who is he playing with now Dave?

Don't know for certain but if he was ever fortunate to reach that level I think it would be Portugal,

He plays for FC Braga locally. still only 12 so a long time to go yet.

His one cousin signed for Aberdeen as a 12 year old and when he retired was playing for Clyde, his brother played a few games for Dundee United and I know he was on Thistles books but don't know if he ever played for them.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 11th Oct 2013, 07:16am
Post #22

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Really think a lot of interest has gone from international football because of this issue. Personally a few years ago i would have been going mad if Scotland were playing and i couldnt see it now i could take it or leave it. have never heard of half the players until they get capped.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Oct 2013, 10:47am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 11th Oct 2013, 12:38am) *
Because of the money the English top clubs are getting from Television payments, they prefer to go out and by foreign players in order to keep in the Premier League. The supporters of these Clubs must also shoulder some of the blame. They have no interest in the development of local talent. Having said that, if the Scottish Premier League was getting the same sort of money as the English Premier League there would be even fewer Scots boys getting a chance of first team football. I would argue that the fans of the leading Scottish clubs would be happy to have 11 foreign players wearing the team colours, and not give a thought about the exclusion of local talent.

I remember the days when it was a level playing field. Scottish teams like Rangers and Celtic could take on any English top team, using local talent. Now neither Rangers or Celtic could field a team of local talent against any English team fielding their local talent, because like the Old Firm, the English couldn't field a team with local talent. Money rules the world!

Regards to All

Danny Harris

Spot on Danny thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Oct 2013, 10:53am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 11th Oct 2013, 06:44am) *
his brother played a few games for Dundee United and I know he was on Thistles books but don't know if he ever played for them.

Wasn't he on the books of Stenhousemuir before joining the Jags Dave?

If it was him i don't think he would have got beyond the U19's, do you know where he went after leaving Thistle.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Oct 2013, 12:01pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Oct 2013, 12:51pm) *
Wasn't he on the books of Stenhousemuir before joining the Jags Dave?

If it was him i don't think he would have got beyond the U19's, do you know where he went after leaving Thistle.

No that's my brothers Grandson he might still be with the Jags don't know I will find out the next time I talk to my brother.

My nephew is Gerald Dickson and he must be about 42 now, his brother is John Dickson I have a video when John was with Clyde playing alongside Frank McGarvey in a Scottish cup tie that shows John running down the right wing going past a couple of players before slipping the ball inside to McGarvey who slides it past the last defender for John to run on and score.
When I look at John and my grandson Donovan you can see its the same family

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.