Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italian Immigrants
WeeJean
post 25th May 2007, 08:14pm
Post #16

Visitor
Member No.: 4,792
Thanks for the reply Heather and the map. Its all becoming a bit clearer now. If only my father had talked a bit more about his father but I know he was young when his father died.
Great if we could just look into a crystal ball and get all the answers cool.gif

Wee Jean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 25th May 2007, 08:33pm
Post #17

Visitor
Hi Stratson
Many thanks for that offer
My grandfather was Giovanni Batistta Defilippis my grandmothers name was Francesca (maiden name Bastianielli) my grandfather was born in 1853 in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido Frosinone Italy, they came to London about 1883/85 and they moved to Glasgow about 1891-92 . My grandfather died in 1895 in Glasgow on his death certifcate his Christian name was filled in as 'George Defilippis' later the name was changed to De'Phillips.
As far as I know a 'Felice Siravo' and my grandfather worked together (not sure about this though) My grandparents had 6 sons, one of them died in 1892 in Glasgow after my grandfather died my Grandmother lived with Felice Siravo and they had 2 daughters.
I do appreciate your help, stories do get passed down and who knows what can happen.
Thanks ever so much
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 25th May 2007, 11:41pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
the name John in Italian is Giovanni, and Joseph is Guiseppe. I hope this helps
I dont know if I spelled it right dry.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 26th May 2007, 06:32am
Post #19

Visitor
Wee mags
That 's what confused me on my grandfathers death certificate because I knew the translation for Giovanni was John but they have him down as George perhaps the person giving the information didnt speak very good English and whoever was writing it down thought they had said George??

Thank you for being helpful
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
stratson
post 26th May 2007, 07:41am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Hello Jean,
Will see the italian family I know during this week, am doing a print out of info. you have given me and see what we can find. Will p.m. you with any info. In the interim , you never know who else is reading your post. All the Best. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 26th May 2007, 11:07am
Post #21

Visitor
Thank you so much for your help Stratson its very much appreciated
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 26th May 2007, 12:56pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
the name changes happened a lot ,it was as they told whoever passed them into the country ,over here in America lots of imigrants got their names changed because they were not understood,and did you know why Italians here in the States were called wops? it was short for 'without papers ',so now you know why names were changed no matter what country they came from if the person did not understand them ,they just gave them the name it sound like wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 26th May 2007, 06:46pm
Post #23

Visitor
I didnt know that about 'wops'. I know since I started researching the family history I have found at least 7 different spellings for my grandmother's maiden name and her Christian name too and the same goes for my grandfather's name. I had difficulty finding my father's birth certificate it was as though he had never exsisted until just by luck I discovered his surname had been registered as Battista instead of DeFilippis (Battista being my grandfathers middle name :rolleyes) but it must have been difficult for the people doing the registration too. Takes all kinds to make a world and it makes life a bit more interesting too. wink.gif
Many thanks for your input Wee Mags

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 27th May 2007, 04:22pm
Post #24

Visitor
Sratson
I forgot to say I was told that another family (Demarcos) used to visit my grandparents and my uncles in Glasgow. They would bring pasta etc as gifts to the family It seems this family (Demarcos) had a big car and they were well dressed- white spats etc. but I have no idea if they came from Glasgow or south of the border, or if they had known my Gparents before they came here.
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
jock
post 27th May 2007, 11:16pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
On TV just watched the end of the Indianapolis 500 mile car race. A major annual event here in the U.S. It was won by a scotsman called Dario Franchitti. In his interview he sounded like he came from Glasgow but his name sounds like there may be an italian immigrant in his background. His wife is the movie star Ashley Judd who was there to congratulate him.

+Quote Post
jock
post 28th May 2007, 03:03am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
By the way he won $1.5million.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 28th May 2007, 03:57am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Jock I to have an Italian last name my [married name ] and everyone who has just met me will say you dont have an Italian accent how come ,well says wee mags thats easy Iam not Italian !!!!!!!
as a matter of fact as I was going to get set to deliver my Daughter
my Dr who met me at the hospital door ,said to Mike go prk the car and we will meet you up stairs meanwhile he says Margaret ,would you please hold this book for me as I whell you ,well I got a fit of laughing and and he said whats wrong? I said its like that colum in the Reders Digest ,you know ,the one where they say only in America well here Iam a scottish woman on the way to the delivery room being pushed by her dr who asked her to hold a book on Judisim ,oh by the way Dr ama catholic .he said Margaret no wonder I love you ,you make me smile biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
jock
post 28th May 2007, 09:09pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Mags I had somewhat similar event. When I was about 14 I had my tonsils removed at a hospital in Glasgow. Unfortunately, and unknown at the time, they also accidentally snipped an important blood vessel in my throat. I was sent home and much later that night had to be returned to the hospital by ambulance. The young "intern" on duty at that late hour had work on me in a darkened ward while using a flashlight and reading instructionss from his open medical book! I remained there several days because of blood loss. Just to stay on topic I think one of the nurses may have been Italian!! laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 30th May 2007, 02:06pm
Post #29

Visitor
I've just found out today that the shop that my grandfather and his friend had, could have been on Rutherglen Road (sounded like that not sure about the spelling) it was a Fish and Chip shop and they sold ice cream,sweets etc too. Iwas also told there was another shop at Cumberland Road but they were not sure if that was theirs or not.
Anyone out their remember their parents or relatives talking about a chip shop in that area?
Thanks for reading this
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 30th May 2007, 03:15pm
Post #30

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi Jean.

I think you mean Cumberland Street. The street you are referring to as Rutherglen Road is now known as Old Rutherglen Road. You can see Cumberland Street and Old Rutherglen Road on a current Glasgow street map.

Regards,

Paul

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.