Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Glasgow Miles More Miserable?, Another day ... another nutty claim!
DannyH
post 6th Sep 2017, 01:56pm
Post #181

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 6th Sep 2017, 01:36pm) *
Gonyersel' Danny,

I'm beginning to wonder tho' if Ah've mibies no' left it a bit late in tryin' to revive what used to be the norm on these boards. :unsure:
Ah'm seein' whit's lookin' close tae bare-knuckle events takin' place here from people who really should know better.

I see people whom I've always classed as friends on here going for each other's throats as if they were settling differences ootside the Blantyre Miners Welfare on a Saturday night ... and that was a Social Club.

These boards were loved and enjoyed by people longer in the tooth than me who whooped with joy when Martin the Moderator got it up and running again after the Great Crash ... long before my time.

I remember well the days when Tommy Kennedy, RIP, could keep us in stitches with his piss-takes, inuendos, and insinuations; all done in the best possible taste :rolleyes: I used to think that if he ever stopped noising me up, it would probably mean I've upset him :lol:

I've seen one friend on here suggest that another gets banned by Martin.

Whether he's right or not how would we feel if Martin one day arrived at the thought, Aw bugger it.
and just threw in the towel?

In case anyone thinks that could never happen ... don't be so sure.

I would suggest some of my friends take a cooling off period to meditate on why we all come onto this site ... so long as it still exists.

As a famous singer once sang "If you can't say something good - don't say anything at all."

Or as the Big Yin would have put it in the most elegant of Clyde Side manner ...

SHUT YER FACE YOU :D

Hello again Tomi

Thank you for our post. I think I am stating the obvious, that the political topics were the start of the demise of GG website. Unfortunately this has been carried over to other non-political topics.

Regarding Martin,I will probably be banned for what I am about to say.

I think he has handed over the website, either by walking away, or for commercial reasons.

The reason for my assertions is that there have been too many posts submitted which clearly break the rules of conduct laid out by GG. It is now like the wild west without a sherriff.

The website now offers space for commercial adverts. There have been one or two which have concerned me. Ones showing small pictures of young ladies, being used to entice readers to get involved with them. Surely that is not what we are about?

So in other words, it has become a free for all. Say and do what you want.

It is a pity you had to leave us for medical reasons.

I sincerely hope you can turn things around. It is obvious you have a number of friends on here.

All the best

Danny Harris

P.S. You will know if I have been banned or assassinated, if I don't come back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2017, 02:44pm
Post #182

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (DannyH @ 6th Sep 2017, 11:48am) *
... foul language ...

Now, sadly, in my opinion, it is now an accepted way of commmunication.

Regards

Danny

Danny, where I grew up it was the normal mode of communication among coal miners whose working days were spent miles deep underground and along shafts which could only be worked in a praying position in the most dangerous of conditions for a mere pittance and the the knowledge that if they didn't come out of the shaft with all the body-bits they took in with them, their families would be out in the street and someone else would occupy their room and kitchen in the miiners' cottages called Dixon's rows forming Dixon Street, Hall Street and Park Street in Blantyre. I only missed the pits by a hair's breadth.
Steel workers and ship builders were a good world away from the miners but their tenement living was also never a safe bet. So the language they used was more colloquial in a sense than that used by our Sunday School teachers and threir families.
So in a sense, and bearing in mind that the guys in the barracks were only to a degree better off, foul; as in language, was also only in the ear of the beholder as it were.

Of course I'm all for keeping a born and bred tradition live. biggrin.gif

Anyway ... how could anybody describe the beauty that is and always will be Glasgow without a few wee swearie words?

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2017, 02:57pm
Post #183

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 6th Sep 2017, 02:56pm) *
It is a pity you had to leave us for medical reasons.

It was medical reasons which brought me to the GG Boards ... 6 months waiting for a broken hand to be repaired and medical reasons would never keep me away, unless they were terminal.

No, Danny, I was getting angry at one guy here accusing me of lying when I said that whoever pressed the report button on him, it certainly wasn't me: not my way of dealing with problems or problem people. Martin confirmed this but to no avail.
I can't be insulted; that goes way back to my childhood, but continue to try and insult me (unless your just noising me up) and I'll get angry.
I didn't spend all that time on the GG Boards to get angry at some pion on a keyboard, so I left.

Things don't seem to have changed much. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenb
post 6th Sep 2017, 04:10pm
Post #184

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 6th Sep 2017, 03:57pm) *
It was medical reasons which brought me to the GG Boards ... 6 months waiting for a broken hand to be repaired and medical reasons would never keep me away, unless they were terminal.

No, Danny, I was getting angry at one guy here accusing me of lying when I said that whoever pressed the report button on him, it certainly wasn't me: not my way of dealing with problems or problem people. Martin confirmed this but to no avail.
I can't be insulted; that goes way back to my childhood, but continue to try and insult me (unless your just noising me up) and I'll get angry.
I didn't spend all that time on the GG Boards to get angry at some pion on a keyboard, so I left.

Things don't seem to have changed much. sad.gif

well thh i ave tried to get the posters to stop fighting i tried fire with fire didnt work tried to be nice didnt workso i feel sorry for martin so i have had enough i have noticed a few oldies your self included return to the site i hope it continues well ttfnand the same to bilbo and angel see you again

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Sep 2017, 09:15pm
Post #185

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Re "Not many people know this ,who said that ?" I`m nearly sure there was a British programme years ago with a Michael Caine lookalike,and he was very funny,and he said that all the time,I assume that Michael Caine was the one who originally coined the phrase.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Sep 2017, 09:22pm
Post #186

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Dear Danny H,you just jogged my memory there. In the good old days before our telly programmes were entertaining sleep.gif ,Parkinson was a must see,and that`s when we first encountered Billy Connolly and saw him for the great talent he was,and growing up in Brigton,the bad language wasn`t a bit shocking.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Sep 2017, 10:34pm
Post #187

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (kenb @ 6th Sep 2017, 05:10pm) *
well thh i ave tried to get the posters to stop fighting i tried fire with fire didnt work tried to be nice didnt workso i feel sorry for martin so i have had enough i have noticed a few oldies your self included return to the site i hope it continues well ttfnand the same to bilbo and angel see you again

Hi Kenb

Sorry to hear you are leaving us. I appreciate the effort you put in trying to turn things around.

All the best, Maybe some day you will come back, if by some miracle all this nonsense stops.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
kenb
post 7th Sep 2017, 12:01am
Post #188

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 6th Sep 2017, 11:34pm) *
Hi Kenb

Sorry to hear you are leaving us. I appreciate the effort you put in trying to turn things around.

All the best, Maybe some day you will come back, if by some miracle all this nonsense stops.

Danny Harris

thanks danny goodluck will look in from time to time

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Sep 2017, 04:05pm
Post #189

Mega City Key Holder
Kenny, you stoap this the noo an' git yersel' back oan here or there wull be trouble so there wull,
tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 7th Sep 2017, 07:31pm
Post #190

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif one posse member rides off into the sunset yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
kenb
post 7th Sep 2017, 08:26pm
Post #191

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wombat @ 7th Sep 2017, 08:31pm) *
rolleyes.gif one posse member rides off into the sunset yes.gif

well i am back wombat

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
angel
post 10th Sep 2017, 08:13pm
Post #192

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
The topic being is Glasgow miles more miserable .

Well , literally I have walked miles around Glasgow as a child and adult and still do whenever the opportunity comes along when I visit the city , I think it is a great place to walk and just taking in the life of it is wonderful.

So , I am not so sure that the city is miserable but maybe some of it's people have changed , but then , that maybe just a sign of the times and also my personal experiences . I go there these days because my family are there , other than that I would not bother . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 10th Sep 2017, 08:33pm
Post #193

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
laugh.gif
QUOTE (kenb @ 7th Sep 2017, 08:26pm) *
well i am back wombat

laugh.gif did yie furget yir horse? laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Sep 2017, 09:29pm
Post #194

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (angel @ 10th Sep 2017, 10:13pm) *
The topic being is Glasgow miles more miserable .

Well , literally I have walked miles around Glasgow as a child and adult and still do whenever the opportunity comes along when I visit the city , I think it is a great place to walk and just taking in the life of it is wonderful.

So , I am not so sure that the city is miserable but maybe some of it's people have changed , but then , that maybe just a sign of the times and also my personal experiences . I go there these days because my family are there , other than that I would not bother . smile.gif

I was raised in Glasgow, went to school there, university, worked there for about five years or so. I moved away and last lived there about 1968. I still get a buzz going back, although much has changed over the years, not all for the better. Shettleston is a sad imitation of what it was, and so too is Sauchiehall Street - definitely not improvements.

They say the people are what makes the place and that is true. Most folk are the salt of the earth, but there has always been the other side of the coin. To deny that would be foolish. I feel a stranger when I revisit now, but still a bit of me belongs, although most of my old pals have passed away or moved and lost contact. I have plenty family nearby but not in Glasgow itself and so I cannot share Angel's pleasure of re-uniting there.

I guess that I am typical of those who have gone away in that I feel nostalgia for the way things were, with the "caurs" , all the cinemas and dance halls, although I was never a dancer. Both my schools have gone, many schoolmates have passed away or have gone on to high positions - usually the ones I didn't like.

I don't know about Glasgow being more miserable, but I get that way when I visit. I didn't deliberately move away- it was more of a gradual process, and now I feel more "at home" in my adopted land than I have for many years. It's people who make Spain too, you see.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Sep 2017, 11:24am
Post #195

Mega City Key Holder
Seems like parts of "Miserable Glasgow" are not such a bad place to reside after all tongue.gif ...

Islington is the worst place for women to live in the UK, followed closely by Blackpool, according to a new study.

Research shows that female residents of the London borough of Islington report the lowest levels of happiness, life satisfaction and feelings that their life is worthwhile, along with the highest levels of anxiety ...The study indicates that the best place to live is East Dunbartonshire in Scotland, which scored well across a range of core domains, coming 11th on education and 16th in the quality of the local environment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...g-a7940581.html

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.