Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Glasgow Miles More Miserable?, Another day ... another nutty claim!
*Billy Boil*
post 4th Oct 2017, 10:18pm
Post #196

Getting carried along on waves of nostalgia for Glasgow always seems to me to be "the brave music of a distant drun"
All my good memories of Govan were the kids I played with from year naught till I was around 10.
I started to be aware of the evil of the crims, money lenders, sly groggers who ran the surrounding streets. They were possessed of true evil.
Vultures devoid of heart and soul. Glasgow did not pick up a reputation for violence. It was well earned.
I left there in 1959 to live in the Scottish special housing scheme in Johonstone. I was exalted .Trees , greenery ,clean streets and best of all
baths, indoor ( individual)_toilets hot running water; a disgrace that the slum I came from still housed human beings. Any nostalgia for such third world conditions is seriously misplaced.
On my one and only visit back to Scotland, I was on a bus to go back and see Govan once more. The bus rolled past Govan Cross. I stayed on, could not bring myself to get off.
I had been living in Melbourne since leaving Glasgoiw. The comparison was too much to take.
No rose dinted glasses could make Wanlock Street other than a dark brooding soulless slum, unfit for human habitation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Oct 2017, 10:24am
Post #197

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 4th Oct 2017, 10:18pm) *
... I started to be aware of the evil of the crims, money lenders, sly groggers who ran the surrounding streets. They were possessed of true evil.
Vultures devoid of heart and soul. ...

See, Billy, you are right ... but ... when a 10 year old can recognise and survive all that, then by the time he's old enuff tae sojourn, carried by the four winds to all corners of the planet - including Melbourne - he's well able to look after himself having seen it all before in the Second City of The Empire.
tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.