Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robroyston Hospital, glasgow history
big tommy
post 14th Oct 2005, 06:09pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
mad.gif For those of you who remember Robroyston Hospital :- forget it . it has been totally demolished .It is a massive housing complex now .

Nothing in it yet ,except for aa 24 hour ASDA store .the rest is just houses ,houses , houses ,

Oh !! and there is a Technological Park being built ,whatever that is .It has been there for 7 years and nothing has been built on it yet .

There are new schools being promised ,How long they will take i dont know .It seems that although St Helen;s is the nearest Catholic School to the estate ,it is outside the catchment area .As St Helen's is in Bishopbriggs ,whereas Robroyston is in Glasgow .

The talk is for a mixed denominatioal school to begin with ,bur who knows how long this will last in Glasgow ?
glasgow being what it is .

Nothing else is planned for this massive estate ,except fo ever more houses .Now there are plans to build on the Green Belt . Money sure does the talking .

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Oct 2005, 08:21pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Thanks Tommy.

Robroyston Hospital in 1922:

Robroyston is a northeastern suburb of the city of Glasgow, Scotland.

Robroyston Hospital was built as a municipal smallpox and tuberculosis hospital and opened in 1918. It was temporarily used as a military hospital in 1918-19. By 1925 450 beds at Robroyston were devoted to tuberculosis patients, almost half of Glasgow's total complement. In 1945 a maternity unit was added. In 1948 Robroyston joined the National Health Service under the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Northern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board, it closed in 1977.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 14th Oct 2005, 08:37pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
Thanks tommy and GG,

I was born in robroyston hospital in 1965 and i always wanted to see it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 14th Oct 2005, 08:53pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Ma Aunt Helen wis a Dietician in Robroyston, she moved to Ruchill later on. biggrin.gif

Tommy the school catchment areas are the same over here. Many builders who have limited space usually apply to the Education Board and ask if the 'best' school in the surrounding area could accomodate.
They then include this in their pitch to potential buyers.

It sounds though as if there's a ton of houses, I'm surprised they haven't built any new schools for the new developement as a whole. Makes you wonder why the Residents themselves haven't demanded one...they would here.

On the same note, a new Condo developement is opening up on the outskirts of the area I live in.
There's been HUGE protests from surrounding residents regarding school catchment as our school already has over 800 pupils and it's jist a Primary School.
A higher intake would mean the playing field would have to go and outside 'huts' would have to be built instead to accomodate the extra pupils.
We strongly opposed this, trust me ye don't want tae be sittin in a hut, heatin oan or no in the middle of a Canadian winter....and with the property taxes we pay ahm damned if ma boys will be either. PLUS....it's really the only playing field in the whole estate that the weans can play in at and after school. There's a park nearby but it's wooded to get into it and unless yer with them, too many adults about on their own for vulnerable kids to be on their own.

The outcome was the Builders promised to use the catchment next to us, which is slightly further away but has nowhere near the pupils we have. They also had to stipulate this in writing to potential buyers.

Sorry guys ah jist need to edit here as I've realised up in the kitchen how that might sound snobby when I said ah wis damned if ma weans would sit in the outside hut.
What I mean is IF I can help it they won't have to.....so many things like classroom size etc, already they're in classes of 27 pupils.
Ah'll go the noo...jist didnae want to come across wrong.

This post has been edited by Catherine: 14th Oct 2005, 09:12pm

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 15th Oct 2005, 02:10pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Dear Catherine
Ruchill too is closed and in the process of being demolished to make way for another load of private housing
Love
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
ukteros
post 22nd Apr 2006, 11:08pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,238
Hi I was born at Robroyston Hospital in 1968 and would be very grateful if anyone out there has a photo of what it looked like. Thank you very much SAT

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 23rd Apr 2006, 08:59am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Here is a link to the Virtual Mitchell site where you will find a number of photographs of Robroyston Hopital taken at various times. You will find Robroyston if you go to "hospitals" in the Subject Search. Hospital photographs are displayed alphabetically.

Robroyston

I hope this is useful.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
ukteros
post 27th Apr 2006, 01:19pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,238
Thanks so much. I didn't expect a reply so quickly. I am very grateful for you taking the trouble to find that link for me. Another wee bit of the puzzle falls into place . . .

+Quote Post
marydee
post 28th Apr 2006, 07:52pm
Post #9

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,766
Let us celebrate that many of the people who will occupy the houses being built where Glasgow's redundant hospitals once stood are in fact ordinary Glasgow families who can now aspire to owning their own home. The people who lived in the slums before, during and after WWII welcomed the housing schemes and the living space and facilities they provided and what a mess they turned out to be

+Quote Post
*Anne Williams*
post 16th Dec 2008, 12:56am
Post #10

Hi, my mother was in Robroyston Hospital back in 1952/53 her name was Betty Milloy (Elizabeth)
she was there for Tuberculosis does anyone remember her she came from Brigeton Glasgow.
Also did the Hospital have any magazines that included Pen Pal addresses for people that were long stay patients.

+Quote Post
Bonny
post 27th Jul 2009, 04:31pm
Post #11

Special Visitor
Member No.: 283
Robroyston Hospital

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons...ospital-glasgow

+Quote Post
*fusilier42*
post 3rd Oct 2009, 04:00pm
Post #12

I was born in Robroyston Hospital in 1949. Isn't there a commemoration plaque or somthing??? lol

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Sep 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.