Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pots And Pans Hen Night
Dexter St. Clair
post 22nd Mar 2009, 10:50pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Hi

Can anyone advise the Glasgow term for this ritual involving the bride-to-be walking round the streets with a chanty filled with salt. Her friends would be banging pots and pans and singing. A pub crawl was completed collecting money for kisses from any willing man. Its driving me a my friends and family mad trying to remember the term for this.

Hopeful thanks

A1424

Was this always called a Hen Night or was there a particular Glaswegian phrase to describe it? Did it take place after the show of presents?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 22nd Mar 2009, 11:04pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
the show of presents was after you got engaged and the hen night was just an excuse for a booze up a never had either as my leave time in WRAF would not allow it so it was home 2 days married then a weeks leave then back to work

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Mar 2009, 11:10pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
From the Scottish Wedding Folklore section of the Scottish Wedding Pipers site:
Pre-Wedding Day Traditions:

Bridal Shower:

The term 'bridal shower' comes a bride’s 'show of presents'. Local women-folk would traditionally give items to help establish the new couple’s home. Today, the show of presents frequently takes place in the mother of the bride’s home. Gifts are now a bit more luxurious - rather than just practical as they were in days gone by. Invitations for the bridal shower are sent to the people who have given the couple wedding gifts. These gifts are unwrapped and set out for viewing. Guests can come round and see what the couple has received.

Hen Night:

It's traditional that after the show of presents, the bride to be is dressed up and her friends will take her through the town singing and making noise with pots and pans to announce her wedding day. This is now known as the ‘hen night.’

http://www.scottishweddingpipers.co.uk/Sco...g_Folklore.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 22nd Mar 2009, 11:32pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
The phrase Bridal Shower appears to have originated in America to describe a tradition brought over by the Dutch when a dowry was not provided by the father of the bride friends would step in and donate useful gifts. It was practiced elsewhere but in Scotland the phrase used was the more direct "show of presents".

The phrase "Bridal shower" to my knowledge has never passed the lips of any Glaswegian, Even Lulu's.

The only exception of course would be Glaswegian journalists who refer to the Underground as the Clockwork Orange.

I have a feeling that the tour of the pubs by the Bride, her sisters and her pals was part of the "Show of presents" which was continued at her mother's house with her aunts and friends of her mother.

In later years it split off into the "Hen Night"

I will be guided by the females on this board and in the tradition of the show of presents I will remove myself from the house and go the pub.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd Mar 2009, 08:25am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
laugh.gif Your quite correct Dexter, in Glasgow while the aunts and mum's pals were having tea and sandwiches and (possibly a tiny sherry) at home, the bride's pals and sisters would dress her up and take her round the local streets. The bride would carry a baby's potty with salt in it and passers by would be encouraged to kiss the bride and put some money in her potty. smile.gif You still see that same tradition locally. Most brides dreaded it but had to just go with it and it usually ended up being great fun. Pots and pans were bashed together to draw attention. :

+Quote Post
**Sooz**
post 8th May 2009, 02:00pm
Post #6

Hi - new to all of this and fell upon it looking for a restaurant named The Fountain which I think used to be near Charing Cross.....

The tradition of the bride going round the pubs used to be called a Shirraking - (sp?) - as I recall from the lasses in the punch room at Rolls Royce!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Jun 2009, 12:37am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember during the 60s one of the girls I worked beside was leaving to get married.
We had the usual 'sheet' round the Office for money to buy her a wedding present.
On her last day at work and as our Office was in Ingram Street, we dressed the girl up and took her round to George Square where we made a circle with her in the middle and danced and sung all the usual silly songs sung on those occasions.

At one point a man asked what was going on, he was from Holland and had never seen anything like our carry on. One of the girls explained to him it was a Scottish custom to do this when a girl was getting married. He set up his tripod and camera and asked us to start again and he filmed us.

As it was 5-30pm and the works all closing for the day George Square was very busy, so we had quite a big crowd enjoying the fun.

We also had a laugh when we took the girl to Buchanan Street underground to get the subway home. One of the presents we had got her was an alarm clock and another girl had set it to go off when they were on the subway.
When she came back to work after her honeymoon she told us she near collapsed with fright and embarrassment when the alarm went off and everyone was looking at her and her two friends with her did nothing to help in getting the clock out the box to switch the alarm off, they were too busy laughing. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Elma
post 5th Jun 2009, 12:49am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,650
When I got married in 1959 I was working in Stow College of Engineering. The janitors decorated one of their big dollies that was used to moving the equipment around and they and the girls in the office put me on it and they pulled it onto New City Road where we stopped the traffic (at 5 o'clock in the afternoon!!) all the way to St. Georges Road and back along Shamrock Street. laugh.gif I was really embarrassed and was glad to get back into the College tongue.gif I have never heard about the salt though.

+Quote Post
kentzo
post 5th Jun 2009, 01:15pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 3,984
Dexter, perhaps the event had an ‘official’ name but it seems to have been lost over time. Somebody out there knows. I suppose we’ll just have to call it ‘Hen Night’ or ‘Hen Parade’ for the moment.

The Scottish Film Archive has an excellent video of a hen night in 1989. It shows a ‘hen night’ in the Partick Tavern, Glasgow, with the bride-to-be being dressed up and the girls with their pots and pans. They’re also singing “Roll Me Over”.

Have a look at the video : Glasgow Hen Night

They maybe ventured out into the streets later.

The last time I saw a live "hen’s parade" in Glasgow must have been in the 60’s or 70’s. If I remember correctly, they were ‘hurlin hur roon thi streetz’ in a pram, singing something like :

Hard up, kick the can
Bride's Name got a man
If you want to know his name
His name is Groom's name

When I was in Norway (Bergen or Stavanger), I saw something similar in the 80’s – so perhaps the Vikings brought the custom to Scotland. The next time, someone’s in Norway, ask them about this custom.

Heather can you remember what this Dutch man looked like, and we can nip over to Holland and get a copy of his video.

+Quote Post
*Karen horgan*
post 11th Jun 2009, 01:17pm
Post #10

can anyone tell me the song or rhyme you sing when the bride to be jumps over her potty before going round all the pubs??/

+Quote Post
angel
post 13th Jul 2009, 12:51pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Was this event not called " the Bottle-ing'...

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Dec 2009, 01:51am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I can't remember the songs we sang when taking the bride to be around the streets and pubs and we sang plenty of them.

I remember the Show of Presents for another friend who was very shy and when we took her into a pub in Maryhill Road, we sat her on the potty and told her she had to sing. She sat there on the potty singing the Al Jolson song, ' Mammy'. She got a big applause from the men and plenty of money was put in the pottty for her being such a good sport. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Scutch
post 13th May 2010, 07:10pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,520
Not sure if anyone still has their eye on this thread, but just in case, in Kilmarnock (which if you live abroad, you describe as Glasgow), a hen night is called a "Pay Off", as historically the bride stopped working when she got married, so it was in effect her payoff.

I am now in Holland and I am organising a Pay Off for another Scottish Friend who lives over here and I can't remember what else we put in the potty. I have the crepe paper for the paper flowers, the verses, (attached) salt for the potty, L signs..., is there anything else?

For anyone inter
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PAYOFF_VERSES.doc ( 32K )

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 01:52pm
Post #14

QUOTE (*Sooz* @ 8th May 2009, 02:45pm) *
Hi - new to all of this and fell upon it looking for a restaurant named The Fountain which I think used to be near Charing Cross.....

The tradition of the bride going round the pubs used to be called a Shirraking - (sp?) - as I recall from the lasses in the punch room at Rolls Royce!

"Shericking" was to come later in the marriage!-if a husband decided to stray with a "fancy wumman" or punctuate an argument with his hands, or decide to spend too much time in the pub or bookies,his aggrieved spouse would meet him coming from work or the pub at the close mouth and loudly and publicly explain to the neighbours exactly what the abberant behaviour was!-ALWAYS at the top of her lungs!,the reason for this was safety,NO Glasgow male would "lift his haun" in public to his wife-the rest of the female neighbours would quickly emasculate him!-seen a few in my time-had one? no chance! sad.gif

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 2nd Nov 2010, 10:02pm
Post #15

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
I think it was called " A Shirraking " Not really too sure, but that name rings a bell, it would be good to find out. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.