Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lindella Club, any auld toon boys
dodds
post 14th Jun 2004, 10:03pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 937
donald nicolson of the sixties, toon boys dougie livingstone, gavin,
drew hall, the enforcer etc etc remember the lindella club
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*louisealan@email.com*
post 24th Nov 2004, 09:06am
Post #2

i usde to go to lindella at that time,i remember jimmy nicolson he was in my class at arden primary he then went to sir john"s i went to shawlands. is the Gavin you mean Gavin Harrison? i went with Dunky Davidson ,Henry Holland,Twink Currie and a whole lot of others we later started going to the Locarno we were all Toon Boys. I still stay in Thornliebank and still see old friends.By grizzly I think you might mean Jimmy Gray He went about with David Aitken'

+Quote Post
*NICKY*
post 25th Nov 2004, 01:31am
Post #3

louise I went to Shawlands my name is Donald Nicolson
email me at mickythefish2000@yahoo.co.uk James nicolson is my younger brother xxx

+Quote Post
marina
post 25th Nov 2004, 08:12pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
my mother in law and my husband went to shawlands academy, my sister is also related to the above mentioned jimmy gray

--------------------
Slāinte mhor a h-uile lā a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
*JimmyTheMod*
post 2nd Apr 2008, 10:42am
Post #5

Hi All,

I have setup a GlasgoMods website, am looking for input and articles diocumenting the LINDELLA which as a 80's Mod I used to go there.

One of our members has a relative called Donnie Nordel anyone remember him.

you can contact me at adminATglasgowmods.co.uk

Thanks in advance for any help.

+Quote Post
Skyeman
post 31st Oct 2009, 03:14pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,686
Hi All...I used to go to the Lindella with you guys in my spotty youth. Moved away from arden 1970 to the shawlands area, near my old school. I was a "mental young toon boy" then. Good and bad memories

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Oct 2009, 06:28pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I had no idea the Lindella survived for so long. My only memory is of it being where Lulu & the Luvvers first became known- early 60´s when I worked nearby in the Central Hotel.

Never did visit it- too busy in those halcyon days having parties in the staff quarters of the hotel.
Amazing that my liver has survived to the age of 67 so far.

+Quote Post
Skyeman
post 31st Oct 2009, 07:45pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,686
Hi ..I knew her and her brother..she did not tbad for a wee Glasgow girl..shame about her voice!! There was so much better around at the time Maggie Bell etc. anyway...stone the crows!!!

+Quote Post
storeman
post 11th Dec 2009, 10:14am
Post #9

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,046
Hi all what memories i had at this Club Maureen behind desk collecting money, entrance fee , booking you in at the Entrance Betty Allan and her dancing partner cant remember his name walking on to floor toilets to left and Tea room served by her dance partners mum

Elvis treat me nice was warm up song for all dancers right get in line lmao

wearng my drain pipe trousers suede crepp shoes / blue silk shirt tie with an eagle on it to go with belt and blue drape jacket , sparkly socks also hahaha

dancing with all birds having fab time walking them to bus stop or train station night cant wait until next opening day must admit though that was back in Revival Teddy boy time in 70s though same time as Greece came out lol

so if wee Elvis from Milton or JC from Parkhouse or boys from Royston area reading this drop me a line even my first love back then Margaret Cameron from Claypotts Road Ruchaize

cheers

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 31st Jan 2010, 02:24pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (Skyeman @ 31st Oct 2009, 07:26pm) *
Hi ..I knew her and her brother..she did not tbad for a wee Glasgow girl..shame about her voice!! There was so much better around at the time Maggie Bell etc. anyway...stone the crows!!!

I seen Maggie Bell once, and Alex Harvey when he played at The Cave under the arches next to Jamaca Street, we used to go to the La Ronde then the'new' Phonographic in Buchanan street
for a change
we went to the lyndella the night Lulu had just come back from London when she first launched her first record, that was the one and only time
we thought we were a bit too sophisticated (at 17)!!!

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
weetoddy
post 14th Apr 2010, 03:25pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,416
QUOTE (storeman @ 11th Dec 2009, 11:14am) *
Hi all what memories i had at this Club Maureen behind desk collecting money, entrance fee , booking you in at the Entrance Betty Allan and her dancing partner cant remember his name walking on to floor toilets to left and Tea room served by her dance partners mum

Elvis treat me nice was warm up song for all dancers right get in line lmao

wearng my drain pipe trousers suede crepp shoes / blue silk shirt tie with an eagle on it to go with belt and blue drape jacket , sparkly socks also hahaha

dancing with all birds having fab time walking them to bus stop or train station night cant wait until next opening day must admit though that was back in Revival Teddy boy time in 70s though same time as Greece came out lol

so if wee Elvis from Milton or JC from Parkhouse or boys from Royston area reading this drop me a line even my first love back then Margaret Cameron from Claypotts Road Ruchaize

cheers

Storeman.. your name is'nt by any chance Tam? tayed in or around Wellhouse in Easterhouse?
Toddy

+Quote Post
storeman
post 7th Jun 2010, 02:23pm
Post #12

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,046
Sorry Toddy first name is Dave

used to live in Broadholm street parkhouse back then

+Quote Post
*David Sinclair*
post 18th Aug 2010, 01:34am
Post #13

Hi all my name is David Sinclair and I can remember as a wee boy my Dad opening the Lindella Club at 54 Union Street, Glasgow. You went through the pend at Crawleys sports shop, turned left and up the stairs to the top floor. My young sister was Linda and my mother was named Ella and my Dad puit both their names together and called the club THe Lindella Club. This had to be in the late 1950's and initially the Lindella opened as a jazz club and the annual membership cost was six shillings per person. Later as jive became more and more popular my Das started a jiving school and he had a number of terrific jivers and he formed a number of jive teams. The most amazing jiver was a black guy, a real gentleman, George Leslie who danced with a girl called Mary, they were fantastic. What a lot of people dont know is the Lindella Jive Team performed on the Royal Command Performance and I think this was 1961. My Dad did not keep well and due to ill health reasons he did a deal with Betty and Alex Allan who ran the club successfully thereafter for a number of years. I used to work at the Lindella for extra pocket money and my job was to go round and pick up the empty 'gingy' bottles. Not much of a job but I loved it just the same as it was for my Dad, Bill Sinclair, the man who was behind the formation of a great Glasgow Club. Keep Jiving - David Sinclair

+Quote Post
marcam7
post 25th Aug 2010, 08:10pm
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
Great memories there Davy,in the late fiftys it was our sunday night club about an hour of slow stuff followed by an hour or so of cha cha and mambo,remember the luminous lights,everything dazzling white including the dandruff woe betide you if you had a falsie as your teeth would be gleaming but it would be yellow always finished the night with a piano instrumental with words the piece was called"Till" but ithink it came from some classical piece way our oor heids.I think it was a chinese resturaunt for a good number of years. Marcam7.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 25th Aug 2010, 09:10pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Great wee story David.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Apr 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.