Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garthamlock
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:48pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Garthamlock

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Garthamlock

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sumac
post 3rd Apr 2007, 09:21pm
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
When I was about 12, we were rehoused from a room and kitchen with outside toilet (6 kids, 2 adults) in Townhead to a 3 storey terrace house in Garthamlock.

We had a long living room cum diner, a proper kitchen, 4 bedrooms (!) and a bathroom, not to mention a front garden and a double back garden. We couldn't believe the space. No more sharing a bed, or sharing a room with 7 other people! A bathroom with a bath, and a toilet just for our family INSIDE the house! And running hot water!

However, we soon realised that we couldn't see our friends any more (at least, not often) because the bus fares were too dear for mum and dad. No more walking down the Parly Road into the town if we were fed-up - all we had were fields, fields and more fields, with the odd cow thrown in for a wee change.

The "shops" were in a wee row of only about six, and there was nothing to buy there except milk and bread and boring stuff like that. A family moved in from Easterhouse and soon terrorised the place. We got stones thrown at our windows, and at us, spat on, called all sorts of names - and nighttime was a nightmare. Dad worked night shift, so that was when the real horror started.

I'm sorry, but Garthamlock holds nothing but a bad feeling for me. We lived there for about 5 years before we escaped to the peace of Dennistoun.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
*Big Wattie*
post 20th Dec 2007, 03:57pm
Post #3

Garthamlock,
Lived there for 5 horrible years, what a nightmare of a place, was glad the pulled the place down (Clonbeith St)

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 9th Jan 2008, 11:57pm
Post #4

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
Taken at no. 12 Binns Road, Garthamlock in 1957. Me, (top right), ma 2 sisters, ma auntie Cathy and cousins and ma wee granny Annie. We lived there from 1955 'til 1964.

Attached Image

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
Slimer
post 10th Jan 2008, 12:14am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,286
I went to Garthamlock High School and my Auntie Jean and Uncle Allan stayed in Binns Rd.Can`t remember the number though.

--------------------
If it wisnae fer yer wellies where would you be?

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 10th Jan 2008, 10:28am
Post #6

Super Visitor
Hi Slimer,
what was their surname?

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
sandy36
post 10th Jan 2008, 10:57am
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 4,186
went to school in garthamlock in 1984 till 1986. nothing but bad memories for me, some nice people there but some not so nice! was constantly picked on because i came from ruchazie (ruchazie and the "gar-t " always fought one another). certain girls would wait for me after school to give me a doin! was very glad to have left when i was sixteen. sorry Garthamlock not so good for me !

+Quote Post
Slimer
post 10th Jan 2008, 02:14pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,286
QUOTE (hughmac @ 10th Jan 2008, 10:18 AM) *
Hi Slimer,
what was their surname?

Their name was Cuzen.

--------------------
If it wisnae fer yer wellies where would you be?

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 11th Jan 2008, 12:07am
Post #9

Super Visitor
Sorry Slimer, don't recall the name Cuzen. Then again, it WAS 45 years ago. Can't remember what I was doing last week, never mind that far back!

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Alex Arundel*
post 19th Feb 2008, 06:57am
Post #10

Och well...I might as well try....I left Garthamlock....in 1960 I think...I was a wee boy...we moved there form The Gorbals and although my Ma and Da never liked it I still remember my primary school....playing in the water Towers...that wee lane near them....up to Ruchazie...or walking to Gartcosh.....climbing over the walls of the loony bin as we called it....it had an organ in a wee out house....I can still hear the sound of it....we moved to Drumoyne....then I went London then New York and now Nashvilleand still it is all in my heart....45 Tillycairn Road top flight....coalman and his bag is stilo with me.....sweep.....I miss it..anyone out there..I have travellled a million miles.....I am a performer......man..I would love a pie supper

love yeez all

Sandy

+Quote Post
Muroo
post 13th Mar 2008, 09:56am
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 5,479
I used to play up in those water towers too (in the sixties) ...in Cranhill I think it was,good memories smile.gif

+Quote Post
*walker*
post 2nd Mar 2009, 06:03pm
Post #12

a was born and bread in gar t,, moved away in 1990 then eventuly back in 2002 no place like home,, yes its a crazy place but wer isnt these days,, i love it here.. GYTO TIL I DIE!!

+Quote Post
wee anne
post 22nd Mar 2009, 02:35am
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 172
I HAD COUSINS THAT LIVED IN GARTHAMLOCK NAME OF WRIGHT ONE COUSIN WAS A TERROR HIS NAME WAS FRANK WRIGHT,HE USED TO BREAK INTO HIS MAW,S METER THE DAY BEFORE THE MAN CAME TO EMPTY IT,,

+Quote Post
*Mc.Groarty*
post 31st Mar 2009, 08:26pm
Post #14

QUOTE (hughmac @ 10th Jan 2008, 12:09am) *
Taken at no. 12 Binns Road, Garthamlock in 1957. Me, (top right), ma 2 sisters, ma auntie Cathy and cousins and ma wee granny Annie. We lived there from 1955 'til 1964.

Attached Image

We lived at No. 62 Binns Road for many a year!!

+Quote Post
Gary Paton
post 4th May 2009, 11:11pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,885
QUOTE (sumac @ 3rd Apr 2007, 09:33pm) *
When I was about 12, we were rehoused from a room and kitchen with outside toilet (6 kids, 2 adults) in Townhead to a 3 storey terrace house in Garthamlock.

We had a long living room cum diner, a proper kitchen, 4 bedrooms (!) and a bathroom, not to mention a front garden and a double back garden. We couldn't believe the space. No more sharing a bed, or sharing a room with 7 other people! A bathroom with a bath, and a toilet just for our family INSIDE the house! And running hot water!

However, we soon realised that we couldn't see our friends any more (at least, not often) because the bus fares were too dear for mum and dad. No more walking down the Parly Road into the town if we were fed-up - all we had were fields, fields and more fields, with the odd cow thrown in for a wee change.

The "shops" were in a wee row of only about six, and there was nothing to buy there except milk and bread and boring stuff like that. A family moved in from Easterhouse and soon terrorised the place. We got stones thrown at our windows, and at us, spat on, called all sorts of names - and nighttime was a nightmare. Dad worked night shift, so that was when the real horror started.

I'm sorry, but Garthamlock holds nothing but a bad feeling for me. We lived there for about 5 years before we escaped to the peace of Dennistoun.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.