Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Avonspark Street, The 60s & 70s
mcginley100
post 29th Jan 2005, 08:34am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,268
Does anyone remember Avonspark st in the good old days,o.k. the gang culture was rife then as it was everywhere in Glasgow,but it was safer then than it is now.We would be out playing football in the street until late into the night aided by the street lighting.The part of the street I lived in was at the very end,the tenements near the red road flats,we would be playing football and you would get the mothers hanging out their windows ,usually with a pillow or cushion to lean on, gabbing to their neighbours.At that time there used to be a wee grocers van run by Marion & Tony,that sat all day long in the one spot. cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 29th Jan 2005, 10:49am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I drove down it yesterday at 1:30pm and noted a young white ned throwing bricks at a young black student. I of course was making the judgement on the clothes they were wearing and who was doing what.

Apart from that Avonspark Street was looking good.

It must be due for demolition smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcginley100
post 29th Jan 2005, 10:58am
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 1,268
Aye its a different place now,I still live only 15mins away from it. cool.gif

+Quote Post
*Marie Barrett*
post 4th Aug 2007, 12:25am
Post #4

We lived in Avonspark Street from around 1964 to 1973. We used to play kiss kick or torture in the back courts (in the old brick built shelters). We also used to make swings on the washing poles with a rope which would drive our parents mad as the weight of us swinging on them used to make the poles lean over! My sister and I went back last year to have a look and where we lived was demolished. - you couldn't imagine so many families living in such a small area of land!

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 5th Aug 2007, 12:34am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Kiss Kick or Torture, I havent heard of that in donkey's years, jings a real blast from the past.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 5th Aug 2007, 01:05am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Growing up in Wellfield St thro` the 40 s, Avonspark St Was always a pretty good street.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 22nd Sep 2008, 05:19pm
Post #7

remember you well Mcginley haha,number 206 bottom left as you in close,auld McCann next door always chased us from playing football

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 2nd Oct 2008, 09:24pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Saw some recent pictures(July) at the Red Rd end,looks like the the houses have been re-roofed (nice red Spanish tiles) and all the wall stucco had been re-done,also house trim and front doors!

+Quote Post
*Marie Barrett*
post 2nd Nov 2008, 01:54am
Post #9

Did someone mention Mrs Mc Cann?? She was famous for "Hingin oot her windie" complete with pillow to protect her arms from the cold window ledge. She was always telling us off for playing ball up against the wall in her close or for running through the close when we played Kick the can!! She 'd (quite rightly) shout - ""AWAY AND PLAY IN YOUR AIN CLOSE"!!

+Quote Post
**Thomas**
post 29th Jul 2009, 01:49pm
Post #10

Hi Marie Barratt,I mentioned Mrs McCann hehe,scourge of us all but now we're grown up we can see where she was coming from.Do you remember wee Susie in 208 with the little goatee beard lol, poor soul.

+Quote Post
*Marie Barrett*
post 19th Dec 2009, 12:02am
Post #11

hi Thomas

I remember wee Suzie well, bless her. Many a time she would be sitting at her window while we played in the back court. Once when she was sitting there, her false teeth fell out and landed in the dirt, and my cousin picked them up and handed them back to her - they went straight in her mouth without any rinsing first - a little dirt never killed anybody.

+Quote Post
craigie
post 5th Nov 2010, 01:27pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,187
QUOTE (mcginley100 @ 29th Jan 2005, 08:03am) *
Does anyone remember Avonspark st in the good old days,o.k. the gang culture was rife then as it was everywhere in Glasgow,but it was safer then than it is now.We would be out playing football in the street until late into the night aided by the street lighting.The part of the street I lived in was at the very end,the tenements near the red road flats,we would be playing football and you would get the mothers hanging out their windows ,usually with a pillow or cushion to lean on, gabbing to their neighbours.At that time there used to be a wee grocers van run by Marion & Tony,that sat all day long in the one spot. cool.gif

Hi, my name is Allan Craig, I live at 102 from 1959-1965, when I moved to Castle-Douglas with my Mother Ellen Craig. My Brothers were Thomas Craig and Davie Kincaid, my sis was Agnes Craig, i have great memories of Avie, great pals, freedom, playing kick the can, one man hunt ect. Just good times I have been fortunate with my life having lived all over the world,but Avie still holds special memories for me

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 16th Nov 2010, 04:16am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (craigie @ 5th Nov 2010, 05:56am) *
Hi, my name is Allan Craig, I live at 102 from 1959-1965, when I moved to Castle-Douglas with my Mother Ellen Craig. My Brothers were Thomas Craig and Davie Kincaid, my sis was Agnes Craig, i have great memories of Avie, great pals, freedom, playing kick the can, one man hunt ect. Just good times I have been fortunate with my life having lived all over the world,but Avie still holds special memories for me

Hi Allan...You should visit oldspringburn.wetpaint.com..tons of Springburn area folks on there!

+Quote Post
*william kinloch*
post 27th Jan 2011, 08:03pm
Post #14

hi my name is william kinloch and me and my family lived at number 159 way back in the fifties and sixties and my father james was a station master in the old subway while my mother isobell sold homemade paper flowers up at the maypole in springburn. there were no gangs off any kind in the street but the Peg was in springburn. when i left school i worked in a pawnbrokers in springburn road called turnbulls. i remember mary rodgers and her family, then the dicksons next door and cathy love, the andersons, the thompsons, the ma'coydes, etc. as kids we all played rounders in the street and we threw ball in pairs of tights up over the street light wires and walked the long wall of foresthall were we sometimes dropped down and sneeked about and were chased away. avonspark street was a very good address in those days and there was never any trouble as i remember. we also ran our bykes down the 4 hill at the end of the road and i went to school by byke to provanmill and past the train yards before they built the red road flats. and the shows used use that hill sight each year and we had a lot of fun there because it was also young lovers hill where no one could see what you were doing. the red road flats put an end to that and we watch them going up with some saddness as a result. but went to springburn park instead. so we still had loads of fun. oh how i was so saddened when i saw both the park and the street a few years ago because it looked so run down. still i have my memories and still love glasgow although i now live in dundee. so dig a hole for me there but fill it with glasgow soil.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jul 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.